Friends

Learn HTML now!

Friday, August 11, 2006

Goodbyes

Two good men died yesterday, one young and the other old. Both left families to mourn them.

John's Uncle E.R. passed away at the home of one of his sons; Aunt Aggie left us in 2000. I didn't know him well but I enjoyed visiting with him at family gatherings and I am saddened by his passing. I will see his children and other family members at the wake and funeral and will be able to easily express my condolences. I will chat with people I haven't seen in awhile and the conversations will be comfortable. I welcome the ritual of saying goodbye.

Dave was several years younger than I, the husband of a co-worker. I had only met him a few times and although I have known his wife for a dozen years we are not close. I like her, we talk often as our routes overlap, we just don't have a lot in common other than the job. His cancer progressed so fast that by the time he was diagnosed it was too late. I will attend the wake, I will tell his widow and young son how sorry I am for their loss but it won't be easy. There will be dozens of people there that I know well but none of the conversations will be comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment