Friends

Learn HTML now!

Monday, December 11, 2006

14 Memories until Christmas

The first time John was transferred after we married I found myself in Akron, NY, a couple of hours away from family for the first time in my life. The local Home Bureau chapter published an open invitation for new members and having been a member here, I went. Most of the ladies were seniors and all were at least 15 years older than me. I felt quite out of place at first but they welcomed me and became my local family.

One of the members had the same first name as me and crocheted this bell for me because despite years of trying she could never teach me to make them for myself. She and many members of the group have passed on now but I remember them all each Christmas.

Home Bureau was a central part of my life for many years. I’ve held every position at the chapter level and most at the county level; I’m a past Chairman of both Orleans Co and Onondaga Co. I finally quit altogether because of volunteer burnout.

No comments:

Post a Comment