Friends

Learn HTML now!

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Tell It To Me Tuesday "Seeing Stars"

For Tell it to Me Tuesday this week, Janet, at The Art of Getting By asks:

If they were making a Hall of Fame for your state, who would you think should make the list and why?

For New York my list would be:

In the History Category let's start with a few US Presidents

Millard Fillmore 13th President
Theodore Roosevelt – 26th President
Franklin D Roosevelt – 32nd President

And a Presidential wannabe, William Seward. Abe Lincoln became President instead and Seward became his Secretary of State, surviving an assassination attempt the same day the Lincoln was shot.

Seward was also an abolishinist and helped Harriet Tubman and the underground railroad. What is she doing on New Jersey's list?

I can't leave out the Women's Rights Movement so I'll mention Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B Anthony as a couple of my favorites.

In the General Category I have L. Frank Baum. What would Chittenango be without Oz Fest?

I'm certain that there are many others I should have in this catagory but I'm coming up blank right now, so help me out with your picks.

How about a couple ofCaptains of Industry?
George Eastman of Kodak Fame.
Henry Wells founder of Wells Fargo Company and also founder of my daughter's alma mater, Wells College in Aurora, NY.

There must be many more. Who can you add?

In the Entertainment Category I have
Tom Cruise If he'd stayed in Syracuse for his school years we could have been at the same dances!

Funny guy, Bobcat Goldthwaite, also from Syracuse. Maybe we did cross paths in school??

Chuck Mangione and his flugelhorn, from Rochester. If you've never heard him play you really have missed out! Listen to a piece below.

There are dozens more. Leave your picks in the comments.

6 comments:

  1. NY...Isn't Billy Joel also in a NY state of mind?!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What a blast from the past.I haven't heard of Chuck Mangione for so long.

    I'll have to dig out some more of his music to reminisce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being from Canada, I'll pass on this one since I don't know half those people you mentioned! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so interesting! And I wanted to say the same thing as above...this was truly a blast from the past. My male cousin and I went on a double date to see him in concert when I was just 19!

    And just think...you could have danced with Tom Cruise! (But I think I would have preferred Tom Sellek, myself!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. terrific idea for a post. and harriet tubman has always been a hero of mine...

    now off the top of my head for PA...

    bill cosby
    will smith
    jack palance

    ben franklin
    betsy ross

    andrew wyeth
    james michener
    rachel carson
    mary cassat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chuck Mangione plays a mean trumpet. Thanks for the link. I loved that music! Interesting to see who hails from NY state. Great idea for a post.

    ReplyDelete