Friday, June 11, 2010

A Pretty Good Day

Twig had his adenoids out yesterday and is doing fine. We enjoyed having Sprout here for a night but she is quite happy to be back home.

My eight week appointment was this morning and it didn't go well but I didn't expect it to. The xray is still not showing new bone growth, maybe in another couple of weeks. I have tried to quit smoking and I'll continue to try. One bit of good news was that I can start walking with the crutches. I can still only put weight on the heel and not my full weight but this may allow me to get to sections of the garden that I haven't been able to.

We stopped down to Mom's after my appointment and her ramp is almost done. I was quite happy to try it out because I'm still having trouble with steps. She had someone else coming from the program we're hoping to get her into. It has been a long drawn out process but hopefully by the end of the month she'll be in and all set.

Some of the things we've had to do have been tough and it's good that my sister and I are splitting the chores and have each other to lean on. The ramp is done, she met with a lawyer and I've taken care of preplanning Mom's final arrangements. That was harder than I thought it would be and hard to talk to her about. There are still several things that need to be done before the end of the month but we are checking them off, the toughest one's are done and the end is in sight.

On the way home I got John to stop at a big box store and push me around. I have new respect for people that are always in wheel chairs. We'd get to the end of an aisle and have to turn around and go back because the way was blocked, there were aisles I couldn't get down at all because there were hoses all over. John was able to maneuver me over to a markdown rack where I picked up a new daylily. I picked up a couple of other things too. They were a great price - because they were unmarked so it will be interesting to see what they are next year!

Because I am still struggling with stairs I don't go outside as much as I should so when we got home today I stayed out for awhile. John picked up some vegetable plants and put them in yesterday and while I was looking them over one of the little snakes that are about came by.

Everything is so early this year! John has a bumper crop of strawberries and my flowers are all 2 to 4 weeks early. The lupine are about done but the penstemons and jupiters beard are pretty. This section of the garden was full of butterflies and dragonflies but they all seemed to be camera shy.

These delphiniums are right outside my bedroom window and a favorite of the hummingbirds. The delphiniums on this side are 5-6' tall but the ones on the other side of the walk are less than 2' and I have no idea why! The one that looks bright blue is actually a rich purple.

This gas plant really got big this year and I love the dainty flowers.

Most of my blanket flower is yellow with some red so I was pleased with this one. The ox-eyed daisies are just about done already! In another week or so they'll be replaced by shastas. I hope they last until the red beebalm gets going.

Right now I'm planning to get outside in the morning and get some weeds pulled and my new plants in the ground!

1 comment:

  1. Now I have to go back to the nursery and get some delphinium, for the hummingbird garden! That is beautiful!

    Sorry to hear about the lack of bone growth, keep up the good work on the stop smoking.

    We just had to put Man's mother in a care facility, she is doing quite well. Been there done that on the pre-planning of the funeral. It is tough.

    All of your flowers are wonderful!!