Friends

Learn HTML now!

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Super Moon

Six years ago I had been visiting my sister and started for home near sunset. As I headed down a country road toward the highway I was absolutely blown away by the full moon. It was absolutely huge. It hung just over the tree line and I felt as if I could reach out and touch it. I was so amazed that I pulled over to the side of the road and sat there to watch it for awhile. I couldn't understand why it seemed so close and so big and for just a moment there was fear. After the moment passed I was simply filled with awe.

I now know that what I saw was something close to a "Super Moon." The last time the full moon occurred when the moon's orbit was it's closest to earth was in 1993. But in 2005 the alignment was close enough to wow me.

With this memory I was excited about moonrise tonight. We set out down the street a little before the official moonrise time here of 7:51. The appointed time came and went and we walked some more as the last of the daylight waned.


It wasn't long until the bugs started biting so we walked home and got the golf cart and headed to the other end of the street. We could see the glow of the moon peeking through the trees. It was bright and pretty but no where near the memory I have and therefore disappointing. I took 50 pictures and they are all duds. My little Kodak just does not do night time photos. I did try and get some to the tree line in the pictures. What do you think, is there a dog on the moon?


I guess I'll hang on to my memory and maybe I'll have the chance to see another Super Moon that lives up to it.



2 comments:

  1. I didn't think it was such a Super moon, either! I guess we had lots of clouds which kinda obscured it, but some friends in Chicago said it was gigantic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't think it was that Super. There's been other full moons that I've thought were more special.

    Glad you are still writing.

    ReplyDelete