Friends

Learn HTML now!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My Bus From Space!

One of the projects I had to get done at work before surgery required me to come up with a diagram of the bus loop at one of the schools. An artist I am not! I tried taking pictures from a distance and couldn't get everything in. I finally decided to try finding an aerial picture online. I found just what I needed at Google Maps. The detail was amazing, I could actually see a bus on the road! Since you can drag the map around and move along the roads I did. The satellite images must have been taken right at afternoon lineup. By finding the first bus in line and following the roads and counting buses back to the garage I was able to pick out my bus just about to leave the lot. How cool is that!


So the last couple of days I've been playing with Google Earth and Microsoft Live Maps. I couldn't find a great view of my house with either. The one from Google is a bit better. I quess when you live in the middle of nowhere Snowville there isn't much call for detailed images.

So I decided to take a look at the last couple of place I've lived. I was pleasantly surprised with the detail from Live Maps. It doesn't look like the new owners have done anything since we left. The barn looks good and the neighbors still have their pool.

Wow! This was two houses ago and the detail is surprising. The cherry tree I planted is still there. You can see that the garage door is open and is that an oil spot on the driveway!?

OK, so I'm a bit bored. But it's been fun peeking at the places I used to live. I've only shared the last couple but there were many more I wasted the morning looking at.

5 comments:

  1. There are a lot worse things you could be looking at while recuperating, Apple- isn't it kind of like studying geography?

    I looked at some of our old addresses a while ago as well as the houses of friends and family in other states. The houses are close together and there are lots of trees so not much to see.

    Hope you're feeling strong soon and have no more exciting neighborhood bonfires!

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the good wishes Annie! Unless we get a big snowstorm, and I really hope we don't, I'm sure there will be at least one more bonfire this year. The question is will we continue to mind our own business or call the police? We remain undecided.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried Google Earth yet, but it looks really interesting.
    I'm sure you're finding plenty to keep your mind busy, even though you'd rather be out planting bulbs. How is John at that? Now might be a good time for him to learn ;)
    If we lived closer I'd be very happy to plant them for you.
    Today was gorgeous, wasn't it? I worked outside for most of the day and had fun with the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:34 AM

    Okay, so just where is Snowville? Those pictures look so much like the area I grew up in on the outer part of Niagara Falls. In fact the school buses look like they could have been parked in my old school's bus lot (Niagara Wheatfield).

    Colleen (OMcHodoy)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colleen,

    These days I live and work in Oswego County, north of Syracuse. I can't remember where Niagara Wheatfield's garage was but this area is very similar to Niagara County. I used to work for Akron which covered the S/E corner of the county.

    ReplyDelete