Friends

Learn HTML now!

Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Monthly Update

Somehow I've gotten out of the habit of blogging. So here is a brief update and hopefully I'll follow up with some more detailed posts.

In my last post I mentioned that I fell and hurt my foot. The most recent x-rays confirmed that it is indeed broken. The surgery repaired the first and second bones, the break is on the fourth bone. I can walk on it as long as I'm wearing the ugly black shoe but to go shopping or walk any distance I still need to use the crutches or wheelchair. The good news is that I seem to be healed from the surgery and I have almost no pain, even when walking. The doctor isn't sure that I'll be able to go back to work when school starts in September but being out of sick days I really need to be cleared to work then.

We went to Florida for a couple of weeks and finally got to see our new house. We John cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. The place is in much better shape than I was expecting. There are some repairs to be made and we probably have to have a new roof sooner rather than later but over all I'm am very pleased with it. It is two miles in from the front of the park and therefore quiet and the few neighbors we met seemed quite nice.

My garden is a huge mess and it's only been in the last week that I've done anything outside and that wasn't much. Despite the weeds and the flower stalks that need to be cut back the garden still delights me. I can sit on the end of the bed and watch the hummingbirds just outside the window. The smell of oriental lilies wafts through the house. John planted just a few vegetables and we're enjoying the first cucumbers of the season and hopefully we'll have tomatoes before too long.

Mom celebrated her 85th birthday last month! She's been doing well. She goes to PACE every Friday and some weeks she enjoys more than others. She spent the weekend at my sister's and we had her party there. We've haven't been able to get down to her house as often as we should but I do try and call her every day or two.

It's been quiet here. The boys have been here two or three days a week and I've worked on my genealogy. Not much else going on........

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you mother is doing well and that at least you are free of pain in your foot. Hope everything else turns out all right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good report, except for the break. Here's hoping that it heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been enjoying reading your blog and hope to hear more. I especially like hearing about your gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Apple,
    I'm not blogging much either lately. There's just too many other things to fit in, and with the longer daylight we work outside later and eat later. By that time I'm too tired to do much of anything. It's really too bad because there's lots to blog about. My camera gets a real workout with the garden loaded with blooms and color. The summer birds and wildlife are keeping us well entertained too.
    Our church did VBS last week and that took up every night. It was a great program with a team of teenage kids from PA doing puppets, which was lots of fun for kids and adults alike.
    I'm enjoying being able to stay home nights again!
    I'm glad to hear that your surgery site has finally healed but that's too bad about the break.
    Glad also to know your mom is doing well. Please wish her a belated happy birthday for me.
    Great news about the house. Glad you got to spend some time there.
    Take care and say hi to John for me.
    The Golden Glow is blooming which makes me think of you and E :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete